Friday, October 2, 2009

mid-day angst

have i mentioned how much i detest sweden? like, Detest. i don't understand why why why they're so so so sticky. i got a note saying i'd a parcel (yay!) that couldn't fit into my mailbox (boo.) so i'd to go to the gas station (???) (boo.) to collect it (yay!). the notice was in swedish, by the way, so i obviously understand swedish and knew exactly what to do.

at the gas station i presented it to guy behind the counter.
uptight swede: can i see some ID
me: here (passed him stockholm uni ID card and photo ID to check against)
uptight swede: i need your passport.
me: i don't have it.
uptight swede: well you need your passport.
me: and i don't have it.
uptight swede: i can't help you.
me: the university said i could use this is ID in sweden.
uptight swede: yeah but not here.
me: this is sweden.
uptight swede: well, you can't use it here.
me: where does it say i need my passport?
uptight swede: it says you need valid identification.
me: yes, this' my valid identification.
uptight swede: no, you need your passport.
me: ok, i don't have my passport. can i see the parcel?
uptight swede: no.
me: i won't even touch it.
uptight swede: no.
me: i just want to see the size and handwriting. you can hold it behind the counter.
uptight swede: i can't.
me: but i'm leaving town for awhile and i'm afraid it's perishable. could you make an exception?
uptight swede: no.
me: why?
uptight swede: because you need your passport.

if the notice clearly stated 'bring your passport, or else.' FINE. but it didn't. so don't read terms into the contract, ya know. don't understand why they're so particular. to get into a club i need my passport. to buy alcohol from their silly monopoly i need a passport. i'd probably need a passport to ride the bus next. mid morning angst. i don't like their immigration officers either. put you through third degree when i've all the necessary documents and VISA. when will they realise that i come from a country infinitely superior to theirs in so many ways (except, maybe, air quality) and am absolutely uninterested in overstaying my welcome. it's so presumptuous to think that everyone will want to remain here. i'm liking stockholm for the scenery and my friends on exchange, by proxy the university, and i've a lovely room. but there's most definitely no love lost between the swedes and i.

No comments:

Post a Comment