Thursday, November 5, 2009

the beginning of a love affair

it's official, i'm in love with paris and she's usurped london as my second favourite city. as you might imagine, this has caused a semi-pseudo-matrimonial problem because i now want to live in paris at some point while my anglophile lover is determined to return to his english roots.

was delighted when M & F invited me to spend some time in paris with them and their boys. they were perfect hosts and i've never felt more welcome. it's hard to believe that we last met about seven years ago! they've a lovely apartment along the leafy victor hugo with a stunning view of the rooftops of paris (came with the penthouse i guess) and a panoramic view of the eiffel tower. if i wasn't as enamoured with the darn tower as i already am, it might've been an overdose but i never tired of the beautiful lights at night. we spent the whole of sunday together, beginning with a boulangerie-fresh breakfast and then drove around paris in the spitting rain. went to isle st. louis, saw the notre dame and then had berthillon ice cream after lunch. oh my word, ice cream like never before. it was amazing and i forgot about the november chill and ate to my heart's content. tea at fouquet's and then japanese dinner. i told you they spoiled me :)

breakfast at laduree on monday and then the adults went to work, leaving me on my own. that's when i snuck off to taillevent and spent the rest of the afternoon wandering around on my own. M was sweet to take the afternoon off and once it was dark the whole family went for a boat ride down the seine followed by dinner at a sexy brasserie near where princess di's flame.

lazy breakfast in on tuesday and then more solo exploring. hopped onto the 63 because it stops outside their house and toured paris on the cheap. enjoyed moseying around on my own, ducking into quaint shops, practising my pigeon french and just breathing in the parisian air. yes, it's not usually fresh but this was after a long november shower so there wasn't a hint of pollution.

one thing that struck me during my time in paris was thank god i've a healthy lifestyle! i can't imagine how awful it'd be to have been a house guest if i was a wild party girl. when you stay with family friends, especially long-time family friends of your mother's, they don't expect you to be a brat. and i'm so glad that i was happy to wake at 8am with them and we'd be back home by 9pm so the boys could sleep by 10. i'd be left to my own devices after coming home and i'd busy myself with a book from their impressive collection. read lots about french history and culture (in english!) and chilled out on their rooftop with a cup of steaming coffee, fresh french pastries and the aforementioned view of the eiffel tower. not quite post-dinner fare but yummy all the same.

as a blessed little beneficiary of such hospitality and generosity, it just makes me want to pay it forward if ever i've the chance. and, of course, to bring them for a blow out meal when they're next in singers.

No comments:

Post a Comment