Monday, December 14, 2009

singers boleh

a little circular / redundant but i'm really grateful to be from a country that emphasised a dual first language. or at least a competent degree of bilingualism. sure, many people are bilingual, or pseudo-bilingual at least. but how many countries can boast that they've attained the same linguistic success as my generation of singaporeans? and for almost everybody. it's something the chinese (fake) sushi chef pointed out when i ordered my sushi in mandarin. i've become a bit of a regular there because my use of mandarin scores me extra (read: free) sushi. but his point was how singaporeans have a distinct advantage because we've (almost) conquered east and west with a relatively sound grasp on english and mandarin. granted, english and mandarin don't open all doors, but it's a solid combination.

anyhoos, when i was nattering away in mandarin with H, my chinese corridormate, i realised the sole reason why we get along is because i speak to him in mandarin. and that's the only language the dude wants to speak. the other corridormates merely elicit grunts and reluctant acknowledgement. i, on the other hand, have transcended that and we actually engage in intellectually stimulating political discourse. (aside: thank you higher chinese for making me aware of socioeconomic problems and exposing me to the vernacular of formal mandarin) plus, we found out today that we share the same birthday. how awesome's that! then he tsked my tea (1 x overripe avocado with lime and salt) and offered me his pai gu. fringe benefit or what ;)

the very unfortunate recurring theme on this blog is that i automatically befriend people who feed me. i'd never make a good guard dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment