Friday, July 16, 2010

day 25

wednesday 2 june 2010 skavsta to barcelona girona

hit the ground running bright and early on wednesday. took the 7am flight out of skavsta and was in central barca by lunch time. had a 5pm tea date with someone C (swedish friend) had very kindly set me up with so i familiarised myself with my hostel (mixed 8 bedder - initially shudder-inducing by not quite after i got used to it) and eased myself into the idea of solo trippin', for it was the first time i'd planned to be alone for such a long stretch. true, did 4 days in berlin all by myself (yay me!) last november but i helped house-sit a friend's empty apartment. this time, i was alone in a hostel. haha it's such a big deal for my sheltered psyche but yes, young girls travel by themselves all the time and i'm not really all that special, except in my head and to myself :) made friends with gustalvo the brazilian dude working at the hostel and went in search of food with my trusty map once i'd left my backpack all padlocked under my bed. see? paranoia knows no bounds.

tea date went swimmingly, and before i knew it it was time for dinner. most unfortunately, i'm a self-confessed glutton who lives from meal to meal and after dinner i briefly flirted with the idea of joining the hostel bunch on a pub crawl, but my aching bones weren't up for the trauma. although i did, very bravely if i may add, head out to buy some water from a nightshop 3 blocks away. past midnight. brave or stupid, i don't know. but i was staying on the main street and stuck to the big roads, kept my wits about me etc. still, cheap thrill if nothing else :)

No comments:

Post a Comment