Saturday, July 31, 2010

saigon day 1






saigon is always a shock to the system. the heat, the crowds, the mass of motorcycles. was very lucky to be with friends if not day one would have driven me crazy. it always takes a bit of adjusting to get used to the overwhelming weight that hits me whenever i go to saigon. something in me snaps and i want to hop on the next plane back. why i keep subjecting myself to saigon is beyond reason - before this, it was my absolute least favourite city. it's not that i don't like vietnam, don't get me wrong. phu quoc and hoi ann i absolutely adore but saigon! gag. but the company more than made up for my lack of enthusiasm, and guess what? by day 5, i was sold. vietnamese food is an acquired taste and i can safely say that thanks for J's persistence and having us fed and watered right at every opportunity, i developed a taste for vietnamese food and can now gobble mi like the best of them. still abhor pho though! every time i go to vietnam i've pho in hope that i'll change my mind. like maybe this time it'd be different! but nope, still not a fan.

oh, and we stayed at a really sweet hotel. i loved my single and the a la carte breakfast on the top floor overlooking the sprawl that is saigon.

No comments:

Post a Comment