Wednesday, September 16, 2009

yet another cooking mishap

i wish i was making this all up, really. if only this was some irrational bid for attention and i'm actually an undercover culinary genius. alas, this' a pseudo-justifiable story and after somebody hacked into my facebook account to broadcast to my 15,000 facebook friends that i drowned rice in the cooker, i feel the need to salvage some modicum of self-respect.

still playing back in my head the whole rice-cooking process, trying to troubleshoot and pinpoint exactly where i went wrong. was it accidentally soaking the rice for a few hours instead of washing it? was it putting in water and rice in the ratio 6:1? was it opening the cooker to check on the rice one time too many? maybe all of the above. and some. but when i saw the bubbles coming out from the vent, i knew something was wrong. having checked with friends in the know, it requires a lot of skill and some dumb luck to get the cooker to blow bubbles.

can you see the bubble???

frantically texted for reinforcements and was told to pour out some water. which i did! but the cooker kept on bubbling and gurgling and when i finally was about to give up hope, the cooker spontaneously switched off. i think it died. anyhoos, my rice was soft on the outside and hard on the inside. a strange combination of soggy and crunchy and none too palatable, i might add.

absolutely distraught at my apparent bad luck with kitchen appliances of all shapes and sizes, i tossed the rest of my vanilla ice cream into my earl grey tea for an instantaneous pick-me-up. didn't make me feel any more confident about my lack of culinary competence but at least it felt like i was recreating coffee club's earl grey vanilla.

and i took a photo of it, much to throw away's amusement. maybe i'm being hyper-sensitive here but i could've sworn she was mocking me.


this's how dinner turned out - stir-fried chicken thai-style (mix courtesy of my concerned aunt) and over-under-cooked rice :(


and here's the rice up close so you can see photographic evidence of the dinner disaster. and it's supposed to be white rice by the way. maybe i should be a little more worried that it became uniformly brown in the cooker (no, it's not the lighting!)

i need a cooking skill transplant fast.

p/s:
DD says:
ewwwwwww
i thought you were cooking up a genuine storm when you mentioned
thai style chicken etc
chicken looks good though
did you spoil your cooker?

missjabok says:
it spoilt my rice.
we share a mutual distrust now.

No comments:

Post a Comment