Sunday, November 22, 2009

international palate

food's never far from my mind and i just realised how blessed i am to have sampled different cuisine from my generous friends. have been the grateful beneficiary of much (predominantly) european hospitality and my tastebuds have done almost as much travel in stockholm as the rest of me has around europe.

because home is where the heart is, here's what i've gorged my way through in no particular order.
Kj's kladkaka, a sticky chocolate cake
Kr's tandoori chicken
A-san's ramen
C's ratatoie

J's spaghetti carbonara with a french twist
M's penne con zucchine e panna
A's wursts with pickled cabbage and salted pork
S' pancakes (and pasta, on a separate occasion)
M's hainanese gai fan or chinese chicken as our friends christened it
J's zurek and other polish specialities
Z's torta
L's lemon meringue pie

and that's just off the top of my head. in fact, i'm positively shamed when i think about how the only dish i can muster up is prawn noodle soup and i have the bad habit of flogging the horse. every guest of mine gets prawn noodle soup! it doesn't help that when i attempted pad yum goong (and even that was with some packet help) for J, i accidentally served her raw chicken. add my litany of kitchen disasters to the equation and you can see why my friends are happy when i don't cook for them. gosh, the one time i felt most love coming my way was when my precious friends pretended to enjoy my pseudo-cheesecake that resembled brain, the type that drips out the nose of a potential mummy of the egyptian persuasion.

which's why i'm desperately looking for japanese mayonaise here so i can introduce them to the wonders of the orient. i need to find a way to redeem myself, any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment